East Looe is located on the south coast of, arguably, the most beautiful county in England, CORNWALL.
Split in two by the River Looe, both East and West Looe nestle beside a picturesque fishing harbour making Looe a very popular family holiday destination.
Looe is geared around tourism, with many holiday cottages, bed and breakfasts, campsites and hotels available all year round...and it's easy to see why. Archeological evidence, such as the so-called Giant's Hedge and the stone circle at Bin Down on a hill above East Looe, indicates that the area around Looe was inhabited as early as 1000 BC.
Copyright EastLooe.com 2010-2014 - Website designed and maintained by Cornwall Domain Agency
An early wooden bridge over the Looe river was in place by 1411. This burned down and was replaced by the first stone bridge, completed in 1436 and featured a chapel dedicated to St Anne in the middle (the current bridge, a seven-arched Victorian bridge, was opened in 1853).
Looe became a major port, one of Cornwall's largest, exporting local tin, arsenic and granite, as well as hosting thriving fishing and boatbuilding industries. The town provided some 20 ships for the siege of Calais in 1347. Looe thrived in this era, being both a busy port and situated near one of the main roads from London to Penzance.
By this time the textile industry had come to play an important part in the town's economics, in addition to the traditional boatbuilding and fishing (particularly pilchards and crabs). Trade and transportation to and from the thriving Newfoundland also aided the town's success.
The Old Guildhall in East Looe is believed to date from around 1500. With the building of the Liskeard and Looe Union Canal linking Looe to Liskeard in 1828, and the development of booming copper mines in the Caradon area from 1837, Looe's fortunes began topick up again. The canal was used first to transport lime from Wales for use in Cornish farming, and later to carry copper and granite between the railhead at Liskeard (from where rail links reached to the Cheesewring on Bodmin Moor) and the port at Looe.
In 1856 the large quay of East Looe was built to handle the demands of the shipping trade, and in 1860, with the canal unable to keep up with demand, a railway was built linking Looe to Moorswater near Liskeard, along the towpath of the canal, which was used less and less until, by 1910, traffic ceased entirely. The railway was later linked to Liskeard proper, and as the mining boom came to an end, it began carrying passengers in 1879.